What is the difference between POIG and the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)?
- The POIG Charter builds on the RSPO standards and creates the space for market recognition for front-runners within the RSPO
- The POIG Charter sets out a clearer framework for companies to commit to removing forest destruction, peat land conversion and labour, land and human rights violations from members’ supply chains
- Additional transparency and reporting requirements allow for open information on performance
- POIG has a simple verification approach which makes it simpler to sanction members
- POIG is supported by both current RSPO members as well as NGOs who are currently not satisfied with the RSPO approach
- POIG requirements align to numerous company commitments (e.g. Unilever, Ferrero, Mars and Wilmar) which go beyond current RSPO requirements